Thursday, June 19, 2008

Online scrabooking classes

I have become quite enamored with the http://www.bigpicturesscrapbooking.com/ website. I love everything about it. I have taken so many classes that I have gotten completely and hopelessly behind in quite a few of them. Now, you would think I would be upset about this. Paying for classes and not staying up with them is kind of a revisit to college for me. But, this is quite different. I have the ability (and so would you) to save the handout's, down load the audio files and come back to them when I can. I absolutely love this. It goes with Stacy Julian's philosophy of no quilt when it comes to scrapbooking.

When I took my first class it just so happened to be a Stacy class. In almost all of her classes she has repeated and repeated let go of the guilt. It makes so much sense to me now. I am one of those people that feels guilt over everything. This I am sure is my Mother's fault. Any and all unfavorable characteristic I like to blame on her whether she deserves it or not (for the record she is truly awesome and deserves no fault; but I must shift some of this to someone and she got the short straw). I believe I was a Catholic in another life (this is not to be a put down to Catholicism my husband happens to be one). It was such a relief to have someone say it is OK to be behind in your scrapbooking. It is suppose to be FUN. If it is not fun why do it. Well I guess all I needed was the permission to let it go (the guilt).

Now, in a long winded way this brings me to why I brought up BPS. I am just finishing up a class called The Art of Becoming More. This class has really made me think. It is a class that helps you become more aware of how you treat people around you; especially those you love. Now, because some of the handouts are a bit difficult to do because they ask some very personal questions about yourself. It has been wonderful to be able to down load the handouts, print them out. Then in my case stare at them for a couple of days or in some cases a couple of weeks. I am not a person who is into self help books, worksheet or any of the physiological babble that is on the shelves now days. Saying that, this class or maybe it just is the instructor's Kolette and Jason that have been intuitive enough to see that everyone needs a refresher course on how to treat each other. They have helped me become better at not just treating my loved ones and friends better; but more importantly I believe people I don't know all that well.

Now, I jump around alot but bear with me I do have a point to make. I am a news junky and lately it seems all I see and hear are people treating each other very, very cruelly. From the political scene to a man being hit on the street and nobody coming to his aide. It seems that all of us need to take a step back. As we are talking, debating, or even arguing with someone are we attacking them or are we communicating. I think if you take a minute and really listen to people around you you too will see how those around us (including ourselves) are giving up the art of communicating. Instead of educating we are attacking each other, hurting each other .

Life is more interesting if you can talk with someone who is not necessarily in agreement with you. It is good to see other side's of a problem, argument. But, I do not believe that is happening anymore. I happen to be a right wing nut so to speak. But, most of my friends are left wing nuts. I say this not in being a smart ass; but in saying we all have a political side we believe in. I do not wish to surround myself with people who think only as I do. If that was the case I would look in the mirror and know all was good in my world. I want to learn, understand both sides of the spectrum. How can I understand why I feel as I do if I don't understand how others feel and why. This makes for a very interesting and pretty much wonderful world.

So, what I am asking everyone to do as the election comes closer and you pick your candidate please try and listen, learn something new from others around you. You do not have to agree, but you must understand that they have a right A GOD GIVEN RIGHT paid for in the BLOOD of our military to feel and believe as they do. So, educate yourself on your candidate but also maybe you should surf over to BPS and take a class on how you can become more. I promise you will become a better person for it. Scrapbooking is not just about putting pictures together, it is and can be so much more. I would hope in my small way I personally can be the change I want to see in the world. I do not have to yell or hurt someone else, I just have to be better at being a bit more understanding to those around me.

No comments: