Friday, March 20, 2009

My second love


Is this not one of the most beautiful views. This is a picture off of my friends back deck. This is where I go when I do serious dog training. It is also the reason why I love to dog train. How could you not want to be outside when you can wake up to a view like this.

These two pictures are of an area that we do quite a bit of training in. This is what revitalizes me. It also reminds me that staying inside can stifle you. It is simply breath taking here. Watching Murphy's joy in being able to do what he was bred for, is nothing but amazing to me.

I live in town and get caught up with day to day activities and forget about the beauty that surround me. This is a place that reminds me of where I come from. This is the place I found my first best friend. I love Stevenson and the joy I get out of training and being with my friend Karen.

As I watch Murphy work it amazes me how much joy he gets just doing what he was meant to do "hunt". Here there are no worries of traffic, deadlines or what is next on my list that needs completed. A dog lives in the moment; they are focused on what is in front of them. There happiness is simple; being with you, being able to do what they were bred to do, and of course playing with the all important ball. He brings home the importance of stopping and looking around to see the simple beauty that God has given to all of us. It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day activities of the daily grind.

A dog does many things for us. The roles they take on as our companions and friends are as diverse as the different breeds there are to chose from. For me Murphy does not only do the job of being my partner but he is also the comedian. I tend to scatter my attention; jump around a lot. Not focus on what is in front of me. Murphy forces me to pay attention. He is not gentle with this job either. He is in my face saying look at me, work with me, pay attention NOW. He is my greatest achievement and my greatest irritation. Dogs are the mirror of who we are. They are what we put into them. They have their individual personalities; but they will and do take on the quirks, of who their companions are. So, make sure to put in a bit of joy for they will return it to you 10 fold. That is what they do; bring you joy in the simple things in life.

Now, I am off; I will try to remember the beauty of the forest when it is raining cats and dogs. Yes, the forecast is for rain all weekend. There will be tons of mud and wetness. I may not be totally into that; but Murphy will be thrilled. For him to be wet and muddy that is this side of heaven for him. I will try to remember what I said above and find joy in that.

2 comments:

inge said...

the nature around you does look good !

We had a lot of rain too the past weeks, but now spring is really in our country !
On friday we should have a sunny day and a temperature of 68 ° Fahrenheit!!

Hope spring is coming for you too !
just enjoy every day :)

greetings from Belgium
Inge

morningDove said...

wow how amazing you are a dog whisperer. i loved reading this post. i too realize the importance of being outside, taking in the fresh air and sunshine.