Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Circle Journals

A few months ago I got involved with a group of artists to do a circle journal. We decided that a stamp would be chosen and sent with the journal. Then the artist would make a page that was inspired by the stamp. The journal page below is for a lovely lady in the United Kingdom. She chose a sun stamp. I have had this beautiful image of the brave and Indian maiden I have been dying to use.


This journal page is also for the same circle journal group. She choose a cat stamp. I wanted to try and do more of a collage this time around. Though I am not fond of my writing, I felt it was important to use it versus rubon's or stamps. I wanted to put part of myself into this page.
Each page is a learning experience. Art journals are a unique way using images and words to express yourself.
I have been been taking a few classes that I really love. Sarah Whitmire has some advanced techniques that she is teaching. Pam Carriker is teaching a couple of wonderful classes at http://www.creativeworkshops.ning.com/ called visual Journalism 101 and Shades of Grey.
Out of all three classes, Shades of Grey is my favorite. It shows how you can shade your images on your journal to make them pop off your pages. Using images, stamps or your own doodling. It matters not. Shading really makes all the difference. Totally in love with that class.
I don't want to down play the other 2 classes, though. I love all of them and would recommend anyone of them. Sarah's class is stock full of techniques that really make your journal book a wonderful adventure of surprise pop outs and windows. By adding the shading and techniques I have learned from Visual Journalism 101 and Shades of Grey my journal is becoming one of my favorite places to create.
Take time to check out these wonderful Ladies classes and start your own art journal.

No comments: