Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Napkin Technique Continued

I am still working and playing with the napkin technique. I really like working with napkins. Although gluing them down without creases is a challenge I am NOT enjoying. I am finding that if you use colored pencils to bring out the background of the napkin it makes the overall art piece pop.

There is a challenge of finding napkins that are not full of children themes. I now have a huge stash of extra napkins and the stash is growing.

I am finding that even with the bright colored fun napkins I just cannot help but bring a bit of vintage. I guess I will always have to age shade, play with a piece until it has an old look.

I hope many of you are giving this technique a try it is fun and at time a challenge; but I guess that is the point of trying new techniques.










On a side note have any of you done any of Sarah Whitmire's prompts? Have any of you visited Michelle Wards blog? The reason I am asking is because I did the challenge of doing a prompt but twisted it to make it my own. I want to know if any of you have done this. What were your results?
I will post my results tomorrow or this evening. I know watch out two post in one day stop the presses. I am finding that when working on prompts there are those people that are done way before me and I just cannot help myself and have to take a peek. Then all I think about is how they interpreted the prompt instead of how I would. I am finding this to be both a difficulty but also a challenge. It is forcing me to get outside of not only my comfort zone but my box. Yes, I am one of those people that automatically colors inside the box. Knowing this, I try to push myself and get out of the box.
Are you a color inside the lines kind of person, or have you always lived outside of the box? Experiment challenge yourself see where you are. Let me know what you come up with if you have a minute; love to hear from you.

4 comments:

Michi, Orange County, CA said...

Hi Tracy!
Your Napkin pieces are AWESOME! They are very sophisticated! I LOVE them!!!!

Marilyn said...

Tracy, I love your "napkin" work. Very pretty. I would love to have seen before you added the shading etc.

Suze said...

Hi Tracy

Your napkin pages are beautiful, am going to give the coloured pencils a try, thanks for the tip !
Love your blog !!!!

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

Hi Tracy!
CONGRATULATIONS! You have been nominated for a Blog Award! Please see my blog for details!