Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Progress of a napkin

I am sorry it has taken so long to get this up. I have promised to post this and something is always getting in the way. I will try and explain as best as I can the process of how I did the napkin technique.

Basically it is layering; shading using charcoal and colored pencils.

I started out with a 5 x 5 piece of white card stock. This is the napkin I chose. Nice and bright and clean.


I separated the colored part of the napkin from the white part. Using decoupage to adhere the napkin to the 5 x 5 card stock as you see below.

I use gel medium to adhere all the images to the napkin.



Now that all the images are on I began shading using a charcoal pencil. I started around the black hat.

In this close up, you can see how the hat is beginning to pop.

I continue shading around all the images including the parrots and background of the napkin.





As you continue to scroll down threw the images the page is showing more depth as I begin using the colored pencils. I simply use the same color as what is already on the napkin. Do not make this brain surgery. The background of the napkin already has chosen the colors for you. Just follow that as your guide.



This is a close up of the flowers. I wanted them to have a bit more pop. So I shaded around them and then used the colored pencils to bring more of their color.


This is what it looks like once I am done. I am still new at the shading and remembering where my light source is coming from. That is OK. The more practice I do the better I will get. Just as you will. Try the techinque it is really fun.

If you have any questions please email me. I will try and answer them as best as I can. This is a fun technique to do I cannot stress that enough. There really is no end to what you can do with napkins.
Now, off with you. Make a page that will make you smile. Email me the pix if you have time, I would love to see what you come up with.

3 comments:

Linda B. said...

This is great - I love it! Thanks for sharing the step by step technique, it's the only way I can figure stuff out!
Keep up the great work.
Linda B.

jerseytjej said...

I love napkin art but have difficulty getting it to lay smooth on the cardstock...it usually tears no matter what I stick it down with...arrrgh!
Gian

Quiltladyb@msn.com said...

Hi Tracy,
I, too, love using napkins as part of my collage backgrounds. I use them on journal pages and such. I have a huge collection, and it is getting out of hand. I started with using decorative tissue, which usually is easier to adhere flatter -- but I also love the texture that the napkins have on my pages after glued to my backgrounds. I think it adds to the journal page as almost another layer. Most times I have to purchase a whole pack when all I want are a few at most. Would you be willing to swap napkins? I think it would be fun because we both probably come up with different ones. I would love to send you a few from each of my packs. I live in Maryland. This past week I scored several pretty packs from shops in Williamsburg VA. If you want to swap, let me know and we'll share addresses. I'll get a package in the mail to you this week. You can send me an email message at Quiltladyb@msn.com.

Barb Murphy