Friday, August 14, 2009

Panties in a twist

I don't like to use my blog for anything but fun and art; but I am angry, no totally pissed off. Yes that describes how I feel about the latest signing of another bad man to the NFL team the Eagles; Michael Vick. I am sick and tired of the sports community continually signing players that are bad people. Whether they want to believe it or not NFL, NBA, Hockey, and so on are idols to our children. It is a responsibility of the national sports teams to remember this and take it very seriously. Which in my opinion they do not.

Yes, they (players) make mistakes and put their pants on one leg at a time as the rest of us. But there is simply no excuse to have dog fighters, sex offenders; basically felons of every ilk playing in sports that not only make them lots of money but put them out their for our young people to look up to.

I understand that the sports community is a business and needs to purchase the best players they can. But, please, their MUST be a standard. Their is none, when it comes to these teams.

There are some crimes that keep you from getting certain jobs. That is the point of punishment people. There is no punishment when they get to continue with their life as if they did nothing wrong. NO, he does not DESERVE a second bite at the apple. Just like when you are a federal criminal you do not get to vote, or own a gun. They are revoked. Guess what, membership to the sports community should be revoked FOREVER from Michael Vick and others like him.

For once I would like to see people who have done bad stuff go out and redeem themselves by doing something good for the community for which they did the wrong. What good has he done I ask you? NOTHING! Instead he and others like him go back and continue their life as if it is in the past. Past does not mean forgotten. It means you need to learn from it and redeem yourself in the eyes of your community. His community, because he was a sports idol is all of America.

People, this is not just about the abuse of dogs; he tortured them, for goodness sake. That tells me he enjoys hurting those that are weaker. Yes, that is just want I want my children to watch on TV. Who I want to be their idol when he makes a touch down. Go Eagles!!

Now, I am not asking anyone to do anything. That is not what my blog is about. My blog is
about my art, my love of it, my ability to share what I have learned from other artist. Continue the circle so to speak. But, it is also a place I can voice my opposing view of something that truly upsets and sickens me.

Eagles games will not be watched in my house hold. I will talk negatively about them. Yes, I am only one person, what effect will it have on them; the Eagles. Probably nothing, but that is not the point or the why. I will be ignoring them because it is my responsibilty to stand up when their is a wrong. This may seem like no biggy to you. But, I can tell you it is a huge thing for me. Donavon McNabb was so very kind to my nephew who passed away because of brain cancer. Turning my back on a team that had a quarterback that could be so very sweet and kind to a little boy he never meet is in a since heartbreaking. Heath loved the Eagles, and because of his love of them I liked them as well. I will always be so very thankful to Donovan for his kindness to Heath; but the Eagles team well, that is another story all together. They are in my opinion a team that put one very bad man before an entire generation of children. They deserve none of my support, nor will they get it. The very opposite in fact. I wish that team and their owner nothing!!

2 comments:

aftermidnightemporium said...

Totally with you girlfriend!!!! I only hope and pray that the animal loving community is strong enough to have a stance on this one.

Why would any team want him? I don't get it...

I hope the bastard rots in hell!
I'm just saying...

Juliet A said...

I had to think about this for a long time before I could come up with a response. To begin with, I have to say that my first reaction when reading about this in the newspaper was the same as yours.

However, it occurs to me that I don't really know the whole story, and I don't think you do, either. There are a lot of things going on in that man's life, and we don't know what they are, nor do we know what they were when he made those bad decisions. Maybe right now forgiveness will serve the cause of good better than bitterness and vengeance.

I would not presume to tell you what to do or how to feel. I can only say that for myself, I will try to leave judgments to the only One who is truly qualified to judge.