Monday, March 8, 2010

My learning curve

I am a fairly obsessive person.  I am taking several classes on portraits.  I love them all because I am learning to use different mediums.  Paints from golden to folk art, shiva paint sticks and pan pastels.  They each have their postitives and negitives.  I have not mastered any of them as of yet to give an adequate pro or con.  I am very much enjoying the journey of discovery of different products and how they can be manipulated in mixed media art. 

I love to take classes from people.  I don't think it is a bad thing to learn from others before you.  Through those who have come before me I will be able to find my voice and my niche in this wonderful world of art.  They are giving me the building blocks that will enable me to find my own separate path.  I do have favorites because their style tends to lean towards my own. 

As I have stated before I am in several round robin journal groups.  I am finding this a wonderful way for me to practice these new skills I am developing.  I have such a long ways to go and wish I could already be at the mile marker instead of the starting gate.  I need to remember that everyone had a first step and have been at the "starting gate". 

I not only love art but am a Search and Rescue Dog handler and am finding similarities in both of the activities I love.  Learning a technique completely before moving on is true in both of these areas.  Understand what your objectives are and learn everything you can about that before you move on to the next step.  I am trying to keep that in mind with my portrait education.  I am not trying to be absolutely realistic, but I want my faces to have a realisim about them.

Below are some faces I have completed.  I can tear each and everyone apart but doing that would lessen what I am trying to accomplish. 

This face was created using folk art paints.  She is to bright but that is OK.  These paints are wonderful because they are inexpensive.  You can use golden mediums to help them flow or thicken.













This face "lady" was created using pan pastels.  I like their creamy feel but they are not for watercolor paper and heavily painted backgrounds.  I don't know how to set them properly so I do not rub off my work.  I may not know or understand how properly to use them as of yet.  I am good with that.  For my first attempt at using them I like where I am going.

This face is done using shiva paint sticks.  So far this is my very favorite medium to use.  It could quite possibly be because I get to use my fingers.  I love the fact I can get my fingers dirty with each color I use.  I would love to practice exclusively with these; but doing so would hinder my learning curve.  Again their are several things wrong with her, but that is OK, there are several things I love about her.  So the learning continues.
Here is a close up of the first page using napkins.  I love using napkins in my art.  I need to do it more often.  I have a ton and forget to break them out; because of my obsession of learning faces forget other things are needed to enhance my journal pages.  Napkins do this every time.
As I learn and continue to show my begining works, I hope that as you learn new techniques you will have the courage to show your work and the progress you are making. Remember everyone was a beginner at sometime in their career of art, dog training or whatever your chosen path is. Until you begin you can't go anywhere. Without documenting those first steps you will not be able to see how far and how much you are learning. Be BRAVE create what makes your heart sing; go against the critiques. They are not important. Now go make something wonderful

3 comments:

Diane said...

Hi Tracy, I love looking at your blog. I see that your in both of the classes that I'm in. Suzi's and Sharon's--they become addictive don't they? I love your journal pages!

Jackie said...

I love workshops tooooo! I love learning from all the different teachers.You and I are very alike in where we are in our art.Art is very important to me and sometimes other people don't get it.. I love seeing what you are doing.Remember that Shiva's take longer to dry because they are oil and thats probably why they don't set for a while.
I am loving working with watercolor crayons . keep it up girl. You inspire me:)

Janet Ghio said...

Hi Tracy
I actually love your folk art paint face--really like her nose and lips-I guess I like the "crispness" of her.-I haven't tried a face using my paintstix--I'm going to try that..