Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rambling thoughts

I received a comment from my friend Jackie about struggling with art and how the inner critic can sometimes take hold.  It got me thinking about how my inner critic has had a strangle hold around me for some time.  I think this happens especially when you are working on new techniques and or towards a specific goal. 
I work in my moleskine whenever I get the chance.  Some of the pages are half finished or just scribbles.  I would ripped these pages out.  I have gotten so frustrated with the process of not executing the technique correctly or a mistake was made that would make me feel why do I even try.  Then the frustration would take over and I would throw a fit like a small child not getting their way.

I am not telling you  this to make myself look silly or to say "I feel your pain".  I am telling you this because I believe all of us go through the frustration of a piece not looking "just right". 

My moleskine is not something I am going to put on display.  It is not a piece of art work to be shared with the world ; saying that it is not something I hide either.  So because of that I think somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking I only want the "good stuff" to be in it.  That is something I need to forget.  A journal (moleskine) is a thing to practice the new techniques, new ideas, goals I am trying to achieve.  It is not just for "The Good Stuff" it is for me to look back on and see the progress I have made.  How in the world am I going to know how far I have come if I keep throwing out the icky stuff. 

It is time to embrace my mistakes as well as my triumphs.  Life is like that; full of mistakes and achievements.  These are our bench marks of our life.  Remember mistakes are just that mistakes nothing more and nothing less.  They are how we learn.  Now take that thought into your art.  I love taking classes online.  I like learning these new and wonderful techniques and then tweaking them to what my style is.  I cannot do this without making mistakes, without failing.  Be courageous with your art.  Allow those mistakes to be your bench marks that you look back on and say wow; I have grown. 

Failing is part of the process, that is where we begin to learn.   Getting the nose just right, mixing that glaze with this paint and so on.  Until you practice and practice the skill will not be yours.  So I will repeat myself because I truly think it is that important.  Embrace those mistakes and practice and practice until that technique skill is yours.  The journey is so much more then just triumphs.  I believe life is as well. 

Enjoy your weekend and make something practice something.  More importantly embrace yourself; all of yourself flaws and all.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I could just hug you right now!! I am so glad that someone feels like me. I had worked with paper clay last week and it was not pretty. I came out of my studio covered in clay and declaring that I was done with ART.I had a toddler fit too because it is so hard to be a beginner.It's easier when your a child but as adults oh so hard. I wanted it to be "pretty";). Art is teaching me that I will have to put in the hours if I want to make something that is "pretty" and wanting me to discover myself. Thank you so much for sharing this. Embrace mistakes - I will if you will.
Hugs!!!

Socrates said...

Very well said, wonderful lady. It's hard to believe you could do bad art, or stuff that the rest of us wouldn't drool over. It is a wonderful article, very wise.

Arlene said...

Oh my gosh! This post so hit home with me. I think those same thoughts - I have been sorely tempted to tear out pages from my moleskine because they are "ugly". LOL. It is so good to know I am not alone in this. Thanks for reminding me that we need to give ourselves permission to make "bad art" because that is the only way we can learn to make good art - by practicing and sometimes failing. Thank you. I really needed this reminder today!