Thursday, October 10, 2013

Meaning of Christmas

I have been giving a lot of thought on how I want to celebrate the coming Christmas holiday.  It is such a wonderful time of year and I think the hurry up and buy thing needs to be rethought on my part.  

I love to buy, give gifts; but, as I have gotten older I am finding that the gifts are becoming the center of the celebration instead of Christ and the gathering of family and friends.  So I am going to try and make most of my gifts this year.  There will be some purchasing because lets face it some things are just to cool not to get for someone you love.  But, the majority will be hand crafted gifts.  I want each person to know how much I love them by taking time to make something that has them in mind.  Some will be thrilled some will be less so.  But, the point will hopefully be refocused on the true meaning of Christmas.  I love the holidays but over the years have lost some of my excitement.  I think this will bring it back for me.

This is the first gift I have made so far.  It is a mini book; I got the original idea from Laura Denson Follow the Paper Trail.  She did this tutorial for 45 Graphics.  I decided to change it up a bit.  I gave it a covered spine and I made little books that tucked into each month so I had to break the book up into 2.  Jan - June are one book; July - December are the second.  I really like how it turned out.

Here are some pictures


















The spine is embossed grungepaper from Tim Holtz.
I then used distressed ink on it. 

 Here is one of the little books that I created for each month of the year. 
















This is the cover of the second book July through December.  It looks similar to the pages above.

No comments: